Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bottomless Chapter 1



Sitting here poised to write this journal, I look around myself and realize that what I am about to share with you, has become to me as surreal as a dream.

And yet it is a tale full of intrigue, adventure, magic, and life lessons. I will begin this tale with the certain assumption that not all is as it seems, for as I look around, I am still struck by the inconsistencies between reality and the inner workings of a troubled mind, and how my life changed irrevocably.



My tale begins with the finding of a simple coin. An ancient talisman of unknown origin.

I was young, and foolish, but I thought I had the world in the palm of my hand.


I had just finished my third year of college, and was well into my thesis on 'The Subconscious, How it affects our daily lives', when I had to stop, the campus library was closing for the night. I didn't have much money, and I had to scrimp and stretch each coin until it screamed, gave up the ghost, and screamed again.


I was here to make a difference in the world, and I wasn't about to let anything stop me. So I saved my work, and packed up my gear, then headed for the door.


It was well after dark, and having made this journey many times before, I Iook back now and realize I actually braced myself before I plunged into the deep of night.

I couldn't shake the feeling that something momentous was about to unfold.


As I was walking, I lost myself in my thoughts, just staring at the sidewalk passing beneath my feet, when I crossed into the light of a street lamp. Contained within that pool of light was a flash of metal. I thought to myself that this truly was a fortuitous find.


I could use any help I could get, so I quickly reached down and snatched the coin and deposited it in the recesses of my coat pocket. Immediately I returned to my wandering attentions and the long walk home, and promptly forgot the coin.


When I finally arrived at my humble abode, I threw my things down and put myself to bed. That was the last bit of normalcy I was to experience for a long time.

When the alarm sounded the next morning, I groggily reached out to shut it off when my hand slipped and I knocked something off the nightstand.

It landed, and rolled for a minute, gently spinning until it settled to a halt, with a soft tinkling noise.


This brought me to a closer point of waking than what was normal for me. I didn't recall placing anything other than the alarm on the table before going to bed.


I climbed out, stumbled to the wall, and flipped on the overhead light.

Rubbing my eyes against the uncomfortable intrusion, I had to wait a moment to adjust.

When I could finally see again, I looked, and to my utter consternation, I saw the coin I had snatched up the night before.


Now, to my sleep dulled mind, this presented an unsolvable conundrum, I clearly remembered putting that coin into my coat pocket. What confused me was that I didn't remember taking it back out.

I shook my head, and thought oh well, I was really tired when I arrived home, and possibly without thinking I had placed it there for safe keeping. I picked it up, again, and deliberately placed it back on the stand.


I took myself off to the shower, and then headed straight for the coffee pot. I didn't have much time to dwell on the mysteries of the morning,

I needed to get to class. Downing a quick cup of the scalding brew, I glanced into my bedroom, noting that the coin was still there. Then I let myself out and started my day.


Walking between the buildings with my head down while on my way to my next class, I was suddenly knocked off balance.

Irritated, I looked up to give this bumbling idiot a piece of my mind, but I couldn't continue.


Here was the most incredibly beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life.


She started to apologize, but I quickly intervened and said not to worry about it, I was the one at fault. I should have been watching where I was going, but she interrupted me.


Her face had gone blank, and she asked me if I had found it.


Then she was gone, before I could take another breath. Found what? Puzzled, I continued to my next class. And after that, I needed to get to work. I didn't have time to deal with this kind of nonsense.


Arriving at work, was almost anticlimatic, and I couldn't get her, or what she had said, out of my mind. It had been another long day, and it wasn't over yet.

I sat down in my little cubby hole. Data processing is very boring and time consuming, so I like to imagine that I am working in a more glamorous field.


Maybe today I would be a Knight in slightly tarnished armor, but as I seated myself, a metallic flash caught my eye. There was the coin. Sitting there innocuously on my desk.


I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I sat there for a few moments, just absorbing the fact of the coins presence. Finally I reached out to pick it up.

Strange this little coin was, to say the least; it was slightly warm to the touch, as if it had been in my pocket all day.


Underneath it had a very dull copper color, but was rather patina'd with age, giving it some intricate shadings of blue and green, with a single word imprinted upon it. I had to strain to make out what it was, but I eventually concluded that the word was "Bottomless".


Well, so much for any work being accomplished today. I became consumed by trying to research this coin. I wanted to know what it meant, who had made it and where it had originated from. By the end of the day, I had found out so very little about it, and I gathered my things to leave.


I put it back in my pocket and headed out to the campus library again, thinking to myself what a total waste of time and productivity.

I was determined to continue about my business, and to complete my thesis in a timely manner.


But when I arrived at the library, I ran into her again. I couldn't help but notice her unusual good looks. She was definitely easy on the eyes, and stood out from the crowd.


Overcome by curiosity, I approached her. I wanted to know what she had meant by that strange question earlier that day. Maybe she had meant the coin, and knew something about it.


It couldn't hurt to ask. But when I introduced myself, she acted as if she had never seen me before. The more I tried to jog her memory, the more she protested that it hadn't happened, and I was mistaken.


Until I pulled out the coin. Once again, her face slackened into a blank look. As if in a trance, her lips began moving...

"Bottomless, Eternal, Deeply Sublime.
Ageless, Fathomless, Forever Entwined.
Destiny Calls, Your Fate must Keep.
The Well of Remorse is Endlessly Deep."


"Ageless, Fathomless, Forever Entwined.
Bottomless, Eternal, Deeply Sublime."

With those words my vision began to blur, spinning me into a vortex of confusion and chaos.


My world slipped away, and I was flung headlong into a maelstrom of uncertainty. Then everything went black.

To be continued...

16 comments:

chardonnay June 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

Oops I boo-boo-ed..LOL!!!

chardonnay June 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM  

Trying again!!!


Thank you Sandy, from the "Bottomless"-ness of my heart.

With out you, this story would not have happened. Period.

Many thanks go out to you. You have helped me keep my focus thru many things regarding the story behind the story.

And once again, I am humbled by your talent.

Most of you from the Simtales forum know of the health concerns I have been going thru, and the struggles I have been dealing with in quitting smoking. Doing that one major thing, really opened the door, and like the cliff hanger in this story, left me in some very unfamiliar territory. But that was only part of the story behind the story.

This story was actually born from a contest on the forum.

During the holiday season, in December of last year. It turned out to be the only entrant. But the contest was cancelled.

So here, finally, is the story that almost wasnt'..due tomany different things...LOL!!

At least..the first part of it.

Mwahahahhahaahah!!!!

S@n June 29, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

I'm finally back!

The first time I read this story like 6 months ago, I loved it, I was hooked to my sit the whole time, you always have that capacity to transport your readers into your story, the whole time I was reading I felt I was there...

Again, your stories are always so descriptive they have no need for pictures, but I'm always happy and honored to help you...

I'm so very glad you decided to keep this story, it is so good to go to waste!

I would have hated to see it lost somewhere...you have to much talent to keep it just for you!

I know everyone will enjoy this story as much as I did... :D

Now to work on part 2. Which is even better than part 1!

I'm glad you liked the pictures, for this part I kept it simple, next part we will go wild with the special effects :D lol lol

Thanks again for letting me help you, it is always a pleasure! :D

thewynd June 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

Melissa this was absolutely wonderful! A very intriguing story so far and I am completely captivated. There is such a mysterious and creepy feeling to it! Your writing always pulls a reader in. Bravo!

The shots were spectacular and I am really looking forward to part 2. Please be sure to email me when it is posted?

Damon June 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

Hmmmm, very nice you two! :D
You guys always work together ,and you always end up doing great! :D

The way the girl chanted the the coin basically in her eyes! Cool! :D

Can't wait until the next chapter! :D

S@n June 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

Thank you Gayl and Damon, I completely agree with you two, Bottomless is a very intriguing story and Melissa's way of storytelling is just fantastic! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

S.B. June 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

Wonderful writing! Mystical and intriguing and reminiscent of a lot of really terrifying faery tales.

Sandy, your shots fit perfectly --evoked that intersection. Beautiful!

I hope you're doing better Melissa. Hugs from me.

scarlet_white June 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

I must saw wow, I was surprised from beggining to end on how your short sentences worked quite well to convey a mood and how you dragged a middle point between fantasy and reality so to speak, the graphical part was stunning and so was the little poem at the end. The woman looked as if she had no eyes or so, I was amazed by it.

You guys did great, keep up the good work!!!

chardonnay June 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Thanks everyone! I amazed myself with this one. I have to be honest with that. But the pictures and all, that is pure Sandy. There is no way I could have come up with the idea, much less make it happen with the talent....LOL!!!

But stay tuned, there is more coming with this one!!!

This was just the beginning!

Astral Faery June 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Once again you two have proven that you make an excellent team.

You are an awesome writer, Melissa, and I look forward to the day when can climb back in the saddle with ease. Your beautiful work is missed.

And what can I say about Sandy's fabulous picture? Lots of things - like wonderful, captivating, pure art. A perfect fit to the words.

Beautiful job, you two! I'm looking forward to much more of this!

Leah July 3, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Wonderful work!

I enjoyed this even better now than the first time I read it.

Of course the pictures add greatly to this enjoyment, but even without the pictures your story was already... bottomless!

Colliegirl July 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM  

Melissa! This story sounds absolutely fabulous! I am so very glad that you worked on this! I loved every word of it! It's full of mystery and eerieness. And the guy is quite handsome too! I loved those pictures of him in the bedroom. (Could you waggle your eyebrows for me, please? LOL!)

Sandy really did a marvelous job in helping you. The backgrounds of the city and the special effects are wonderful! Both of you make a great team together! :D

I hope to hear more of this! Great job!

chardonnay July 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

Wait for it Tammy....

The pics are only going to get better.

This I promise!!!!

I am glad you are enjoying ,my little story!!!

And Thank You!!!!

S@n July 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

Thank you Everyone...

Gayl, Damon,Beth, Pablo, Ariana, Leah, Tammy!

Glad you enjoyed this chapter...
chapter two is now out!! :D

Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM  

My dear Melissa, this is a wonderful first chapter! Wow! Very intriguing story! Melissa your writing is AMAZING! I love the beautiful soft 'flow' of the words! :wub:

My dear Sandy, your fabulous pictures fit Melissa's gorgeous story to perfection! BRAVO to both of you! BRAVO! :wub: :rah:

chardonnay September 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

Zayury,

Thank you my friend!!!
I am so glad you are feeling well enough to come read my story!
I have to admit I am a little proud of this one! I really appreciate you taking your time tio come and spend it on my writing.

And Sandy's Beautiful pictures!
Always Sandy's Beautiful pictures, they do bring it to life, don't they?

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Melissa. And I am a Domestic Dictator. I rule my household with determination and sheer grit. And if you believe that, then I've got a bridge to sell you. Somewhere. And if you give me enough time, I'll figure out where. If I had to really describe myself, then I am at a loss for words. But I shall try. I would say I am a very creative person, with a sometimes big mouth, and a quick, and weird sense of humor. I like to write. I have written poetry, and stories. Some of these stories are based on the Sims2 Game.

About This Story...

The story that almost wasnt

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

CopyRights

Writing @ Melissa
Pictures @ Sandra

This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP